Awards & Scholarships
Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund
Established in honor and memory of the late Chicano/Latino Studies and History professor, the Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund provides opportunities for students to examine the historical and contemporary experiences Chicano/Latino communities. The Jeff Garcilazo Prize is awarded annually to undergraduate student author(s) of the best research paper(s) in Chicano/Latino studies.
Donations can be made by completing the Donations to Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund form. In advance, thank you for your anticipated contribution and we look forward to adding your name to our list of donors:
- Jose and Leilani Alamillo
- Anna Carricchi-Lopez
- Ralph and Carol Cicerone
- Louis DeSipio
- Maya K. Dunne and John Dombrink
- Stephanie A. Fetta
- Alex and Toni Garcilazo
- Manuel and Stella Ginez
- James and Ruth Given
- Manuel and Genet Gomez
- Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA)
- Lynn Mally and Robert Moeller
- Alejandro Morales
- K.C. and Georgette Nicolaou
- Nick Renteria
- Jess L. Romo
- Nancy Lee Ruyter
- Heidi Tinsman
- Veronica Vargas
- Anne Walthall
- Christina Woo
Manuel N. Gomez Endowed Scholarship
The scholarship supports promising UC Irvine students who have participated in an academic enrichment, academic outreach and/or academic preparedness program as a prospective student or as a currently enrolled UCI student. The program must be sponsored in whole or in part by the University of California or a comparable state, federal or privately funded program.
2013-14 Manuel N. Gomez Endowed Scholarship Application deadline: April 9, 2013
Excellence in Chicano/Latino Studies Awards
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Researcher and Promise in Chicano-Latino Studies Award: Graduating seniors who have successfully completed a distinguished and sustained trajectory of original primary research experience that advances our investigation and understanding of the Chicano/Latino experience under the supervision of department Chicano/Latino Studies faculty are eligible for this award.
- UCI Building Puentes-Bridges Award for Exceptional Commitment to Chicano-Latino undergraduate Student Service and Community Life: Graduating seniors who have undertaken a demonstrated and exemplary commitment to establishing and/or strengthening puentes/bridges in the form of student service, cause, and/or entity that advances the growth, retention, and community life of the UCI Chicano/Latino student population are eligible for this award.
- UCI Abriendo Caminos/Charting Pathways Award for Dedicated Commitment to Chicano-Latino Undergraduate Student Civic Engagement and Diversity: Graduating seniors who have developed, promoted, and implemented caminos/pathways in the form of on and off campus programming and/or other activities and interactions that have nurtured awareness, knowledge, and relationships in support of civic engagement and diversity among and between the UCI Chicano-Latino student population and the surrounding community are eligible for this award.
2013 Awards Application deadline: 4:00pm, Friday, May 31, 2013
Additional Scholarship Resources