Awards & Scholarships
Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund
Established in honor and memory of the late Chicano/Latino Studies and History professor, the Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund provides opportunities for students to examine the historical and contemporary experiences Chicano/Latino communities. The Jeff Garcilazo Prize is awarded annually to undergraduate student author(s) of the best research paper(s) in Chicano/Latino studies.
Donations can be made by completing the Donations to Jeff Garcilazo Fellowship/Scholarship Fund form. In advance, thank you for your anticipated contribution and we look forward to adding your name to our list of donors:
- Jose and Leilani Alamillo
- Anna Carricchi-Lopez
- Ralph and Carol Cicerone
- Louis DeSipio
- Maya K. Dunne and John Dombrink
- Stephanie A. Fetta
- Alex and Toni Garcilazo
- Manuel and Stella Ginez
- James and Ruth Given
- Manuel and Genet Gomez
- Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA)
- Lynn Mally and Robert Moeller
- Alejandro Morales
- K.C. and Georgette Nicolaou
- Nick Renteria
- Jess L. Romo
- Nancy Lee Ruyter
- Heidi Tinsman
- Veronica Vargas
- Anne Walthall
- Christina Woo
Manuel N. Gomez Endowed Scholarship
The scholarship supports promising UC Irvine students who have participated in an academic enrichment, academic outreach and/or academic preparedness program as a prospective student or as a currently enrolled UCI student. The program must be sponsored in whole or in part by the University of California or a comparable state, federal or privately funded program.
2013-14 Manuel N. Gomez Endowed Scholarship Application deadline: April 9, 2013
Vicki L. Ruiz Award
This award has been named and established in honor of the trailblazing Chicana historian, Vicki L. Ruiz. Ruiz is a professor of history and Chicano/Latino studies, and joined the UCI faculty in 2001. She has served as chair of the history department, director of K-12 outreach programs Humanities Out There and the UCI History Project, and most recently, as dean of the School of Humanities at UCI. Chicano-Latino Studies faculty are invited to nominate graduating undergraduate students who have achieved scholarly excellence and service in the face of much hardship for this award. The vision and dedication driving this student’s accomplishments and resilience are meant to honor and continue the extraordinary legacy and strides of Vicki L. Ruiz.
Excellence in Chicano/Latino Studies Awards
- Outstanding Undergraduate Student Researcher and Promise in Chicano-Latino Studies Award: Graduating seniors who have successfully completed a distinguished and sustained trajectory of original primary research experience that advances our investigation and understanding of the Chicano/Latino experience under the supervision of department Chicano/Latino Studies faculty are eligible for this award.
- UCI Building Puentes-Bridges Award for Exceptional Commitment to Chicano-Latino undergraduate Student Service and Community Life: Graduating seniors who have undertaken a demonstrated and exemplary commitment to establishing and/or strengthening puentes/bridges in the form of student service, cause, and/or entity that advances the growth, retention, and community life of the UCI Chicano/Latino student population are eligible for this award.
- UCI Abriendo Caminos/Charting Pathways Award for Dedicated Commitment to Chicano-Latino Undergraduate Student Civic Engagement and Diversity: Graduating seniors who have developed, promoted, and implemented caminos/pathways in the form of on and off campus programming and/or other activities and interactions that have nurtured awareness, knowledge, and relationships in support of civic engagement and diversity among and between the UCI Chicano-Latino student population and the surrounding community are eligible for this award.
2013 Awards Application deadline: 4:00pm, Friday, May 31, 2013
Additional Scholarship Resources